Thursday, December 09, 2004

Ponderosa People...LISTEN UP!!

Out of curiosity today, I Googled my name. And even though I had interesting matches (apparently I'm also a musician) it took me to some of your blog sites as well as mine. Not surprising, right? Well, I realized that in our positions as Christians and involved in ministry (camps, churches, missions, etc..), if I was a camper or church member or someone curious to know more about us, they might question our faith based on some of the language exhibited in our blogs.

I know this might oust me from this 'little' community..., but I feel I have to speak up, especially in my position here at camp. Who knows when some 'charmed' junior higher (or board member in my case) will go looking to find more info about their camp favorite and finds our thoughts. I'm not saying I'm the 'favorite'. :)

Before it seems that I'm pointing fingers... let me say that I'm also guilty of this. For whatever reason we think that this is private. It doesn't take a whole lot to find this cache of our names. Some may think that because your blogs are listed under an alias or acronym that you're anonymous to the casual observer...how many of us have buddy link lists with all of our names down the side. All it takes is for one of us to mention another by name in our posts and it turns up in a search. Let's face it, this is the internet, not our private diaries. Ask Jasen about this type of situation. Which stinks because I loved his blog!

So what does this mean? Go covert? Invent a secret code language to address each other by? Why? So we can keep talking like sailors? NO! If people want to see what's the latest in my life, that's fine... I'm just going to post as an 'open book'. I won't care who opens that book.

I went through my old posts and either cleaned up the language or deleted the post all together which was not hard to do. I encourage some of you to do the same...because the questioning moment from someone will come. I've already had some myself. One was from...you guessed it....Dan Skipper! I didn't have an explanation for him. We don't talk like this at camp or in our churches or in front of strangers, why here?

I was reminded of my daily reading on Dec. 7th in Ephesians 5 where Paul says, "Follow God's example in everything you do because you are his dear children......Obscene stories,foolish talk, and coarse language-these are not for you. ... For though your hearts were once full of darkness, now you are full of light from the Lord, and your behavior should show it!"


Please comment or call me! Please know that my post is out of concern and especially love for you guys. I hope it makes sense... and if doesn't , well ...... call me, I want to talk.

9 comments:

Danae said...

No need to 'oust' you! You're speaking the truth in love... you've warned us of the danger that lies ahead unless we change course. Thank you for looking out for us, and thanks for loving us enough to say the hard stuff...

Heddah said...

Thanks for the reminder dad. I think I get caught up in the moment and forget that other people can read what I'm writing and that's not exactly always portraying the witness I want. Thanks for the reality check

KS said...

Sorry Dad!

Alyzzle said...

Hi Aaron,
Apparently I'm a Spanish news broadcaster, honor roll student and I sell dicounted prescription drugs. Well, all that according to Google. I've been challenged a lot by Philippians 4 to think on those things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. Thanks for this reminder!

KS said...

DAD,

I got bored during classes, and I thought I would look up who I was on google. Well I am a Phsycology Professor at Ohio Weslyn University, A colloge football player in Pitsburg, um.. I worte a book called "Love Monkey", haha I'm A rapper, and A registered sex offender... Man I have one interesting life!

KS said...

Hey Aaron, I am not near a phone (which is charged) right now, but I got your message earlier... I checked the calendar and the ministry fair is scheduled for January 27 at 11:00am.... I will go see Kushi on monday and give her your phone number and what not. Alright. see ya

Aaron said...

Thanks Kyle, I really needed that date.

nikki })i({ said...

yeah all I have to say is these are things I've been thinkin a lot about lately, actually I guess for a while. And I'd say there are a lot of things I've forgotten, and overlooked. Thanks for your love and encouragement. I'd say more, but it would take too long, reasons why we should chat some time. I have a lot on my mind.

fountainstylerootbeer said...

im not gunna lie im tempted to cuss on this comment! just kiddin i love you february is coming and i want to get some pictures developed to show you before you come. ok miss you love you and blogs can be good clean fun!