Friday, October 01, 2004

I'll never be a'mountain man'.

Curse you, Amanda! You tell me about this "blogging phenomenon" and how great it is, I start reading and I get hooked!
Anyway, ... I'll never be a 'mountain man'. Don't get me wrong, I like living here at Pondo even though socially it can be a little tough. The environment is awesome, my daughter has a huge 'backyard' to play in, it's quiet in the off season, we usually have white christmas days among many other positives for being here. But I'll never be a 'mountain man'... a mountain man that rides with his wife and kids in the back of the truck, while the dog is in the front seat...or a mountain man that takes his wife out to the local 'fine dining' bar (Don Pepe's) for a gormet meal despite fears of salmonella and ebola and whatever other virus' there are waiting to devour my flesh... or a man that all his kids have the same middle name 'Bob' , male and female( Jim Bob, Jo Bob, Billy Bob, Cindy Bob,)...regretfully, I'll never be a man with a mullet.
I see people in 'town' and I think " Okay, I know I live in the mountains in a small community, but please tell me that I don't act or look like that!" I like movies with surround sound, strong-good coffee(espresso), anything electronic, videogames(it's an addiction actually), interacting with fun intelligent people(some staff don't count), reading good fiction, and spending quality time with my family. These things all contradict the lifestyle of a 'mountain man'. Hence, Ill never be one.
Anyway, enough of my ranting. Last week was the Youth Specialties Conference in Anaheim that we always exhibit the camp at. It was cool to see some familiar faces. I got to spend time with Mark Howerton, who is doing remarkably well considering what he has been through. I love seeing his smiling face. I also saw Brad and Birgitta Clark, who I think I could become really close friends with if we lived closer. Also can't forget my favorite Amanda! She is like a sister to me. Except without the bickering that siblings go through. I also saw Nikki and her ever radiant smile, who I am so proud of because she faced uncertainty and some family opposition to be here in So. Cal.. God wanted her here. I saw Shantelle and am glad we got to talk to see how her life was going in San Diego as a teacher. It was a good weekend and only the future and God will know if some of the questions asked and answered there will lead to new churches coming to experience God here.
Well, I guess I've talked to myself enough for one day... Dan and Becky probably think I'm wierd...they are in the office next room. Will write later. Oh and, Wes, don't sound so down about your job. I'm sure it 's boring but at least your getting paid. Not as much as you do at Ponderosa but maybe over time... ;)

3 comments:

nikki })i({ said...

I'm glad you will never be a mountain man! You're way to freakin cool to be a mountain man. And not that it will ever happen, but if you ever start showing signs of being a mountain man, you have plenty of people that will snap you out of it. Many thanks to Amanda for getting you hooked...funny that she once made fun, and now she's the largest recruiter of the blogging world. But I know we're all happy you're here. Welcome to the community! Love ya Dad!

aca said...

yeah yeah i know...shut up.

KS said...

Hi Aaron...dad (whispering),
Welcome to the bloging world. Don't worry I don't think you could ever become a mountian man, I mean you live next to Dan and Becky and they deffinatly aren't mountain people. So I am watching the food channel and it just showed a whole thing on barbeque and it made me crave your dads ribs mmmm... Well I am going to go watch more food channel, give me a call sometime, I wouldn't mind visiting or hanging out.. later Kyle